Welcome back to the Proje’ blog! This week, we’re going to take a step back – right the way back to the start. If you’re a newbie to auto detailing, some of our posts might feel quite daunting, especially if you’ve been used to just going through a car wash twice a year, or giving your car the once over with a bucket and sponge. To help you out, we’ve created a must-have kit list for you to get started with. Here, you’ll find the absolutely key basics that you need to get started, and we can offer them all to you right here at Proje’.
- Microfiber Towels
As you get into auto detailing, you’ll find yourself getting together quite a collection of different microfiber towels. Microfiber is a blend of polyester and polyamides, so it’s synthetic. This means that it’s been made for a specific purpose; in this case, to be super-thin. The “micro” in microfiber relates to this. Now, as microfiber is synthetic, it can be designed to do specific tasks. You can make the fibers thicker, rougher or smoother during the design process. We’ve got a wide range of towels here at Proje’ – this means you can kit up and divide the different types of detailing workload amongst your towels. Remember, if you store them separately, you won’t get them mixed up!
- White Pro / Blue Pro / Red Pro Edgeless Towels - Rated at a premium 480 GSM, these are our softest towels. Ideal for wax and sealant residue removal, waterless washing and even traditional drying methods. The high GSM rating ensures that you will never introduce swirls or scratches to the paintwork when used correctly. Use the color variations to match with tasks, or with your car’s paint color.
- Big Giant Drying Towel - The brilliant thing about a towel this size is that it can cover so much space in one go, meaning that you’re wrapping up part of your car in a big hug! You can also fold it multiple times to do standard bodywork drying duties, meaning that it will keep going for a really long time before getting saturated. As with all our microfiber towels, you can use it on any part of your vehicle without the risk of scratches or swirls, but it’s best used after washing your car’s exterior (more about that later), because you can dry your entire vehicle in one go, with just one towel!
- Black Mamba 16x16 Wheel and Trim Towel – This is the perfect towel for cleaning nitty-gritty rims, wheel wells and dressing trim. Its dark coloring allows for multiple use without ever worrying about staining or unsightly marks that make your rim towels look old and dingy.
- White Intensive 2-Sided Interior Towel - One side of the towel is constructed with terry weave material and the other side a soft microfiber, meaning that you can change up the amount of friction depending on the softness of your interior surface. It’s the perfect combination for light duty cleaning, wiping and protection application.
- Diamond Window Towel – This is a lightweight diamond weave towel that makes the process of cleaning glass smooth and carefree, without adding streaks and messiness.
Yes, that’s right. Buckets, not bucket! The simple reason for this is that when you wash your car, you should be using the two-bucket wash method. This means that you keep dirty and clean water-based solutions separate, thus avoiding contaminating your towels and wash mitt. We have a super-durable 3.5 Gallon Plastic Pail which is designed to withstand the pressures of holding and moving 20kg of water, and the all-important grit guard, which you use to rub dirt off your wash mitt each time you rinse.
There are a couple of types of brush you can use when detailing, and you use them both on the exterior and the interior of your vehicle. Auto detailing brushes are designed to be specific lengths, shapes and degrees of softness, specifically for individual tasks. When you can’t reach it with a hand, you’re going to need to use a brush!
- Barrel Brush - The Barrel Brush is a big plush brush with one main use in mind, to clean the inner barrel of your rim. With is synthetic fibers and long handle it makes cleaning the hard to reach parts of your rim not only easy, but enjoyable. Simply slide the barrel brush between the spokes of your rim to clean the barrels of any rim; painted, chrome, aluminum etc. To do this kind of detailing job, the brush needs to be tough, so it can get rid of all the debris – brake dust, dirt etc., that has got super-hot and become fused on to your inner wheel. Our barrel brush is exactly that!
- Tire Dressing Short Handle Brush – This is for applying tire dressings, which can be difficult without using a specialist brush, thanks to all the large and small grooves on your tires.
Inside your Car
- Carpet and Upholstery Brush - This sturdy, deep-reaching brush makes cleaning floor mats, carpeting and cloth seats simple and effective, saving you time and energy. Its streamlined grip makes it easy to hold so that you can really get in to your fabric and remove every last bit of dirt.
- Easy Reach Crevice Brush - The Easy Reach Crevice Brush makes cleaning the small cracks and crevices of your interior simple and effective, saving you time and energy. Again, it’s specifically designed for this job, making it more far more effective – and safer – than a toothbrush or paintbrush!
So, you’ve got your accessories and, more importantly, you know exactly what they’re for! Maybe you’ve labelled them so you can remember. Now, where to start? Well, we suggest that you begin with our Essential Process. We offer a complete kit for the exterior of your vehicle – the place to start your detailing journey. The products in this kit cover cleaning your bodywork with our Vital Car Wash Soap, cleaning and dressing your tires with Redline Wheel Cleaner and Fusion Tire Dressing, touching up your trim with our Alpha Trim Gel Premium Dressing, and getting your glass super-shiny with Genesis Glass Cleaner. Click on the links to read more, but at Proje’ we’ve made all our products easy to use and completely safe, so you don’t have to stress – just enjoy the process! We’ve also a selectin of the accessories you read about above in this kit, so you can just make one purchase and be good to go with all these essential aspects of exterior detailing – and more.
The Essential Process Complete Kit retails for $151.85, which represents a massive discount compared with buying all the products in the kit separately. All the individual products have their own pages right here on the Proje’ website, with full, detailed instructions on how to use them. So, why not give it a go and get started making your car look amazing!
If you have any questions about any of the techniques or products that I’ve mentioned in this post, just contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org and one of the Proje’ team will be in touch with you! Remember that we stock only the best auto detailing supplies, so why not click some of the links in this blog post, or visit our products page to find out more? From all of us at Proje’, Enjoy the Process!