Welcome back to the Proje blog! Now, it’s no secret that the wheel area of your car is where the most cleaning needs to be done. It stands to reason; it’s the part that stays in contact with the ground, and where the main friction occurs from braking. It’s where debris is kicked up, and like the rest of your bodywork, it is exposed to the elements whenever your car is outside (which, if you don’t have a garage, is pretty much all the time).
We’ve got a few fantastic products that will deal with different parts of your wheels, tires and trim – and in line with the Proje’ philosophy, we have dialed back on chemicals and, where possible, created pH neutral cleaners that still work incredibly effectively. One example of this is Redline Wheel Cleaner - a powerful all-purpose, pH neutral cleaner that gets right into your wheel wells to break down all the toughest build-ups of dirt, brake dust and grease or contamination caused by the breakdown of surrounding metals at high temperatures. Now Redline works great on most anything and is certainly the product to go for when you’re at home, dealing with a mid-use vehicle. But sometimes, when things get a little more serious, you might to reach for the Pro Range and go for something a little stronger…
Going a Little Further
When it comes to vehicle performance, the more powerful your car, the higher the temperature your brakes will reach. That brake force is what causes hot iron and brake dust to be sprayed all around the interior of your rims and embed themselves all over. The more this happens, the harder it is to deal with – and the greater the potential issues down the line. You need to deal with this in a few ways:
- Neutralize acids
- Break down debris and particles
- Strip everything that shouldn’t be there
Redline does all this extremely effectively, but when it comes to performance vehicles and larger 4WD vehicles, especially commercial usage, you might find it’s time to ramp up the aggression and look at our PRODUCT NAME.
Operating With Care
Unlike our regular Proje’ range, our pro products are designed to be used mainly in commercial settings, and that means that they do contain strong chemicals designed to work on absolutely any level of build-up. This means you need to take a few precautions – and as long as you do, you’ll find it perfectly safe to use.
- Always wear PPE – that’s a facemask, gloves and goggles. Preferably full overalls, if you have them – and ensure you cover the bodywork on your vehicle close to the wheel wells. If you get any spillage, make sure you rinse and wipe away immediately.
- Don’t leave your vehicle unattended – and make sure that you thoroughly rinse your vehicle after use.
But all that said, we don’t want to put you off – this is an incredibly effective product for particularly nasty volumes of debris. Sure, you don’t need it for regular cleans – Redline will be fine.
How to Use
The process is largely the same as using Redline:
- Apply the cleaner to the desired area. You don’t need a huge amount, just enough for complete coverage. Remember to wear your PPE before getting started and cover any bodywork in close proximity.
- Once you are happy with coverage, wait a minute or so for the liquid to settle and then agitate the mixture. You can use one of our Proje Wheel Woolies to get that friction you need, but remember to label anything you use, and keep it separate – don’t mix your pro accessories with your regular, so you’re not worrying about pH with your less aggressive detailing tasks.
- This is where you need to keep an eye on what’s going on. You’ll be able to see a reaction taking place as the debris is stripped away, and you can let that happen for a bit – but don’t leave it on for more than a couple of minutes before rinsing thoroughly. You won’t want to leave a trace on your vehicle, but a good rinse with a hose will make sure everything is fine.
- Once you’re done rinsing, reach for our Black Mamba wheel and trim towel – it’s been designed to clean and dry tires and rims without any staining or scratching, and its color will allow for multiple uses, meaning that you don’t go through hundreds of towels a year. But remember, just like your wheel woolies, keep this towel separate from your others and only use it for pro detailing. Avoiding cross-contamination is key here!
And that’s it! If you’re dealing with something major, don’t be scared – reach for PRODUCT NAME and you’ll be back on the road in no time!
We hope you’ve enjoyed reading this week’s blog – stay tuned for more tips and tricks next week. We’re going to feature more of our kits each month too, so keep an eye out for more great all-in-one deals and some incredible discounts!
If you have any questions about any of the techniques or products that we’ve mentioned in this post, just add a comment below and we’ll post a reply! Remember that we stock only the best auto detailing supplies, so why not click some of the links in this blog post, or visit our products page to find out more? From all of us at Proje’, Enjoy the Process!